The Spanish worker, 36, from the Woodville Pizza Bar, north of Adelaide‘s CBD, was accused of lying to contact tracers about not working at the restaurant.
South Australians were confined to their homes for a strict six-day lockdown on November 18 after officials believed a super strain of coronavirus had spread.
But SA police on Wednesday confirmed the 36-year-old worker would not be charged over the lies he told after testing positive to the virus.
No criminal charges will be laid against the Woodville Pizza Bar (pictured above) employee who lied about working at the restaurant and sparked Adelaide’s frenzied lockdown
The 36-year-old Spanish man didn’t tell contact tracers he worked at the restaurant and caused fears a new virus super strain was spreading (Covid-19 marshals pictured in Adelaide)
The 36-year-old was put under investigation after falsely claiming he didn’t work at the takeaway, where another employee had become infected.
This prompted officials to believe he caught Covid off a pizza box and a super strain of the virus had been unleashed.
South Australian health authorities later determined he was an employee at the Woodville Pizza Bar and had caught the virus from his colleague.
The strict lockdown was lifted at midnight on November 21 and the Operation Protect taskforce was formed to investigate the bungle.
SA Police Assistant Commissioner Peter Harvey said the investigation identified the 36-year-old’s ‘first conversation with contact tracers was misleading’.
‘That conversation was central to information provided by SA Health to decision makers preceding the lockdown,’ Commissioner Harvey explained.
‘The criminal investigation also indicated the male person changed his initial version regarding simple contact with a pizza box, to confirm he had in fact worked at the Woodville Pizza Bar.’
Adelaide (pictured above) was sent into a panicked six-day lockdown that was cut short after officials realised the employee caught the virus off his co-worker and not a pizza box
But Commissioner Harvey said the initial conversation could not be substantiated and meant there was not enough evidence to prove an offence.
‘The suite of available evidence, which investigators do have, has been provided to the Department of Public Prosecution and senior SAPOL prosecution members.
‘the best of penis enlargement pill advice provided back to investigators is that based on limited evidence available for presentation to a court, the matter would not likely succeed or progress.
‘Based on that advice no criminal charge will be laid by the task force investigators against the male suspect at the centre of the investigation,’ he explained.
SA Premier Steven Marshall has previously voiced his outrage at the 36-year-old’s lie.
‘Their story didn’t add up.
We pursued them. We now know that they lied,’ Mr Marshall said on November 20.
‘The selfish actions of this individual have put our whole state in a very difficult situation.
‘To say that I am fuming about the actions of this individual is an absolute understatement.’
SA Police said no charges would be laid against the 36-year-old man as there was not enough evidence to prove an offence (Contact tracing pictured in Adelaide on November 19)